LabVIEW = Laboratory + Virtual Instrument Engineering Workbench
. Lab VIEW is a graphical programming language that uses icons instead of lines of text to create programs.
. LabVIEW program called Virtual Instrument produced by National Instruments in 1988.
. LabVIEW is a much loved tool of the scientist and engineer.
. Jeff Kodosky is the “Father of LabVIEW”.
. Lab VIEW programs are called virtual instruments, or VIs, because their appearance and operation imitate physical instruments, such as oscilloscopes and multimeters etc.
. After build the user interface, add code using VIs and structures to control the front panel objects. The block diagram contains this code.
Elements of DAS:
- Transducer: A device that converts a physical phenomenon such as light, temperature, pressure, or sound into a measurable electrical signal such as voltage or current.
- Signal: The output of the transducer.
- Signal conditioning: Hardware that you can connect to the DAQ device to make the signal suitable for measurement or to improve accuracy or reduce noise.
- DAQ hardware: Hardware you use to acquire, measure, and analyze data.
- Software: NI application software is designed to help you easily design and program your measurement and control application (LABVIEW).
DAQ Device Properties:
- DAQ devices have four standard elements:
- Analog input (AI)
- Analog output (AO)
- Digital I/O (DIO)
Advantages of LabVIEW
. Easy to learn, use, maintain, and upgrade
. One tool for design, prototyping and deployment
. Multi-disciplinary use(Instr. Elect. Control…)
. Multiplatform (Windows, Mac OS, Linux, RTOSs)
. Multicore-ready design and support for different hardware acceleration technologies.(DSP, FPGA…)
. Ability to solve and execute complex algorithms in real time.
Applications of LabView in Various Industries
. Process Control
. Image Processing